Applying to the NIH SBIR Phase I Program for First-Time Applicants

February 7 and 8, 2012 at 8:00pm ET/5:00pm PT

This class is limited to 25 students.

Registration fee includes a post-workshop review of your SBIR proposal by our experts

Register here 
(or copy this link to your browser: http://center.ncet2.org/index.php?option=com_joomla_lms&Itemid=53&task=details_course&id=58)

A very practical step-by-step, four-hour online “How-To” workshop over two evenings to help researchers, faculty members, graduate students, post-docs and entrepreneurs create a SBIR company and apply to the NIH SBIR program in April of 2012. This workshop includes a post-course review of the applicant’s proposed SBIR application by our experts before submission to the NIH.
The NIH SBIR/STTR program is one of the federal government’s best mechanisms to continue funding innovative life science research after traditional research funding has been exhausted. The objective of the program is to dramatically increase the impact of innovations derived from original federally funded R&D, and as such is an ideal program to fund university commercialization of research through new university/faculty/student startup companies. Phase I can be for up to $150,000 for 6 months. Phase II can be for up to $1 million for 2 years. After Phase I and II, the company should have eliminated enough technical and scientific risk of the original research that the company is ready for outside investor funding or product sales in the company sustainability final Phase III of the SBIR program.

Every graduating science & technology student should consider the SBIR program as an excellent way to continue working in their specific area of research after graduating. It is increasingly difficult for students to find employment after leaving the university that utilizes the particular research expertise acquired during their studies. The SBIR program not only allows students to continue their specific research outside the university, but usually accommodates doing so with the same people and university laboratory.

Not sure if the SBIR program can work for you? If you are working or have worked on a NIH or NSF funded research grant, you most likely are eligible for the SBIR program. However, please feel free to send us an email at support@ncet2.org and we’ll help you understand the program better and decide if it is right for you.

Instructors:

Tony Stanco
Executive Director
National Council of Entrepreneurial Tech Transfer

Ali Andalibi
VP Research and CSO
Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
former SBIR/STTR Program Director at National Institutes of Health (NIH)
and former SBIR/STTR Program Director at National Science Foundation (NSF)

The Workshop deals with:

1. How to navigate and complete the NIH SBIR submission process
2. How to incorporate your company and setup the necessary bylaws, resolutions and agreements to organize and run your business, including initial employment agreements, licensing agreements, trademark searches and securing a website domain name
3. How to develop a business plan
4. How to navigate the unique features of dealing with the university research environment
5. How to formulate a winning patent strategy for the SBIR company
Specific topics during the two-day workshop:

• How to develop a business plan and roadmap to succeed, including strategy and vision, commercialization plan, corporate alliances, angel investor and venture capital considerations
• How to perform trademark searches to determine a non-infringing business name
• Securing a domain name for your company
• Determining your business structure and registering it with the appropriate agencies
• Successfully submitting your grant application electronically
• What’s needed for certification of small business eligibility
• Obtaining an Employer Identification Number
• Setting up a business bank account
• Obtaining a DUNS number
• Obtaining Central Contractor Registration
• Who should be the Authorized Organization Representative
• Registering at Grants.gov
• Registering at eRA Commons
• How can full-time university faculty organize the SBIR company to comply with the 51% SBIR employment requirement for the PI
• How can recently graduated students and post docs be involved in the SBIR program
• How to address university conflict of interest policies
• What to look for in prior or existing employment or consulting agreements concerning intellectual property assignments, non compete provisions and confidentiality provisions before applying to the SBIR program
• What do you need to discuss with your university or employer before applying to the SBIR program
• How do you license prior research or other strategic assets from your university to support the SBIR application
• What are the formal specifications you must comply with to not have your proposal automatically rejected without review
• How to complete the SF424 Research and Related (R&R) Forms
• How to complete the PHS 398 components of the SBIR proposal
• How are SBIR grants different from other research grants
• Difference between SBIR contracts and SBIR grants
• How to protect confidential information
• Understanding reviewers and the peer review process in the SBIR context
• Evaluation criteria for NIH SBIRs
• Elements of the Work Plan
• What needs to be included with regards to commercialization
• How to prepare the SBIR budget including indirect costs
• How to set up required accounting systems
• NIH SBIR/STTR Receipt and Referral Processes
• NIH SBIR/STTR Review Process

* This workshop also includes a post-course proposal review by our experts

Who should take this Workshop?

This class is limited to 25 students.
This workshop is ideal for successful S&T faculty members, graduating S&T students, post-docs and entrepreneurs, who have a plan for high impact innovative research that NIH would be interested in.

Class Schedule:

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 – 8:00 pm – 10:00 pm ET
Wednesday, February 8, 2012 – 8:00 pm – 10:00 pm ET

Costs:

This course is offered at the introductory cost of $995.
(compared to the regular price of $2495 at Amazon.com (http://amzn.com/0984694900))

The registration fee includes:

1. The 2 online classes,
2. Research Commercialization & SBIR Center’s NIH SBIR Application Companion, and
3. A post-course proposal review by our experts

References / Text:

The following references will be used:

1. SBA SBIR Handbook
2. Research Commercialization & SBIR Center’s NIH SBIR Application Companion
3. Website www.sbir.gov

What SBIR companies from the “Applying to the NIH SBIR Phase I Program for First-Time Applicants” say about this workshop:

“We had an innovative concept and a preliminary business plan, but the prospect of applying for SBIR support was daunting. The workshop through ncet was extremely helpful, walking me through the process carefully, and providing me with the resources to move forward with application. The presenters were clear and knowledgable, and I continue to use the online materials that they provided as I prepare my submissions. When I submitted my business plan several months later for review by NCET2, I was so impressed with their detailed assessment and encouraging feedback. I can highly recommend this workshop – it is a great resource and an extraordinarily helpful investment for a biotech startup company.” – Adrian Sandler MD CEO, EnRex, Inc

“We enjoyed the workshop and found it valuable – especially the review of the business plan and the grant application. Also, FYI, after further review and discussion of the groups comments and recommendations we decided to wait until April, and submit an SBIR Grant application. Thank again for you help.” – Diana M. Martinez, CEO BLAST Therapeutics

“The feedback that we received was quite valuable and insightful and led us to make quite a few positive changes to our SBIR grants.” – Jarett Rieger, Moffitt Cancer Center

“The NIH and NSF How-to-workshops have been crucial for me to set-up my business and complete the SBIR application. Going from an idea for a product that would serve the pursuit of medicine into a small business and a competitive proposal requires establishing the business and protecting the intellectual property, assembling a team that can fulfill all the goals, and writing a strong grant proposal. The how-to-workshops in and of themselves addressed many of these issues in slide form and followed that up with relevant articles that have served as an excellent reference. In addition, the NCET staff assembled committees of experts, people who have worked with or for the federal agencies, who understood my proposal and knew what it takes to succeed. At every juncture, when I needed help, those experts were there. They saw where my proposal was strong and saw ways to make the proposal stronger-some of their suggestions led to important collaborations, and informed me of relevant funding opportunities. They acted as reviewers, looking over the entire application, alerting me to inconsistencies and pointing out what needs to be changed. In short, they saved me a great deal of time, at least one cycle, and made my proposal much more likely to succeed. The workshops and staff has done my business and me a great service and I am grateful for that.” – Anton Khabbaz, PhD. Precision Stereotaxic Devices LLC

“When I first learned about the SBIR funding opportunity, I knew nothing about starting a business or how to write an SBIR-specific grant. The two workshops presented by the Research Commercialization and SBIR Center and the supplemental material provided gave me invaluable information and guidance on how to navigate the application process and start my own company. I particularly appreciated the opportunities to review my business plan and completed SBIR application prior to submission with knowledgeable and experienced NCET2 consultants. We submitted strong and polished application thanks to this program. I highly recommend it to first time applicants.”  Christopher Barry, PhD. ClarElast LLC

* If you are unable to view/click on the registration link or if you have questions regarding the course above, please contact us at support@ncet2.org

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.