- For resources and updates related to the Coronavirus and operations of the Office of Industry Engagement, visit https://industry.gatech.edu/coronavirus.
The Office of Industry Engagement executes sponsored research agreements when the sponsor is a foreign government or a private entity based in a foreign nation, regardless of where the work is to be performed.
We encourage Georgia Tech researchers to contact the Office of Industry Engagement as early as possible, so we can help you navigate the process and help ensure the success of your collaborations.
Export Control Review of International Proposals
Federal regulations restrict the export of certain technology or technical data overseas and to foreign nationals working in or visiting the United States. Therefore, all international research proposals are reviewed for export control concerns related to national security, foreign policy, anti-terrorism, and/or non-proliferation.
Georgia Tech researchers should keep the following in mind:
- Export control reviewers may contact the PI for additional information.
- Please allow 3-5 business days for the export control review.
The Office of Industry Engagement forwards the proposal to the sponsor after export control review is complete.
Laws and Other Considerations for International Projects
- The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act makes it unlawful for assets to be transferred to a foreign official for improper purposes.
- The Bureau of Industry and Security’s Restrictive Trade Practices prohibit any U.S. citizen from refusing to conduct business with an individual or company subject to foreign boycotts that are not sanctioned by the United States.
- Georgia Tech also adheres to U.S. Code 18, Chapter 77 on Peonage, Slavery, and Trafficking in Persons and all regulations that relate to this law.
- Considerations for Georgia Tech employees conducting sponsored research overseas include:
- Effort reporting
- Export control
- Student employment
- Terms & conditions
- Intellectual property ownership
- Human resources issues, such as taxes and healthcare coverage