This SiGe HBT-based radio frequency (RF) switch enables a wide variety of RF and millimeter-wave applications for which high power levels are necessary, including military radar, mobile phone, Wi-Fi and Wi-Max. The RF switch is made from commercially available silicon-germanium (SiGe) BiCMOS technology and is optimized for low insertion loss and high linearity applications. It can be integrated on a silicon chip for single-chip modules or used individually for a cost-effective, system-level solution for high-power-handling silicon RF switches. In addition, these SiGe BiCMOS RF switches perform optimally (minimize insertion loss, maximize the compression point, maximize the single event effect immunity, maximize isolation to minimize signal leakage, and maximize linearity) without any of the limited dynamic range or loss of high power handling experienced by CMOS-based RF switches.
- Enables a wide variety of RF and millimeter-wave applications in which high power is needed
- RF circuit technology is not limited to any particular frequency band
- Can be realized on a silicon technology for single chip modules or used individually
- Overcomes limited dynamic range or loss of high power handling in conventional CMOS-based RF switches
- Cost-effective, system-level solution to conventional CMOS RF switch
Wireless and radar applications (military radar, mobile phones, Wi-Fi, and Wi-Max)
Highly integrated, low-cost circuits have fueled the growth of BiCMOS technology for Radio Frequency (RF) applications, and the integration of bandgap-engineered Silicon-Germanium (SiGe) technologies has greatly increased the performance of silicon-based RF integrated circuits. Radio Frequency switches are crucial for the operation of any radar or wireless transceiver. Unfortunately, conventional CMOS RF switching circuits have been unable to realize the benefits of SiGe-t heterojunction bipolar transistors (HBTs), limiting their dynamic range and high power-handling capability.